> > I think there is an unwarranted aversion to support requests in this
> > community. If LFS is truly about education, it should welcome helping
> > users through the experience, instead of pushing them away. If anything,
> > this is more argument to have the FAQ kept up to date so that it is easy
> > to say to the arriving Noobs (who will come, with or without a CD...)
> > 'Your question is answered in the FAQ - don't post here until you check it.'
>
> Valid point, but based on what I saw years ago, that doesn't help
> either. We live in a "me now" world where a majority want immediate
> gratification with minimal effort. A project can not overcome this. It
> can only accommodate, within reasonable limits, educate as to the
> behavior expected in this project and make it as desirable as possible
> for joiners to *want* to buy into the "corporate culture". This is not
> done with rudeness, unfriendliness, thin-skinned responses or a
> single-minded focus on "how it ought to be" in ones very personal POV.
>
> Like a good marriage, there's lots of compromise and adaptation involved.

The best way to handle this that I've ever seen, from a "customer service"
point of view, is to have a db of all the questions with their answers
(knowledge base, wiki, whatever you want to use/call it), and whenever
someone asks the question, you reply with a link to the article.  Skip the
"don't post here until you check it" bit of the line, as that is the part
that turns the whole thing "rude, unfriendly, thin-skinned and
single-minded".

Dennis Stout