> > But main stream distros these days have a lot more tools available to them
> > than the LiveCD can even dream of (simple technological fact due to the
> > storage capacity of the medium; CD/DVD versus HD) and typically include a
> > very simple means of installing what tools you don't have.  Installing
> > mdadm on the LiveCD two years ago was an outright pain compared to apt-get
> > install mdadm.
>
> This speaks of other possibilities that could arise. The current CD can
> already be modified to boot from a USB drive or other HD. If we move to
> package management on the CD (mostly for the sake of development
> purposes) it wouldn't be difficult to allow users to add other
> non-standard (but pre-built and prepared) packages on request.

That's a good idea.  Since the two systems covered by the LPI are the
debian apt-get way and the redhat rpm way, I'd like to suggest both of
those.  Since running two package management systems is a software
engineering nightmare, and redhat is (unfortunately) the prevailant
commericially used system, it would probably be best to go with rhat.

Unless you actually know of a simple way to get both going on there :)

And the most helpful package is going to be an update to the source
directory for newer released versions of source.

Dennis Stout