> swapon: cannot stat dev/sda3: no such file or directory
> fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda4
>
> I suspect this is due to my grub configuration.  Rather than installing
> grub, I added these lines to menu.lst on my host system:
>
> title LFS 6.3
> root (hd0,3)
> kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.22.5 root=/dev/hda4
>
> Here is what my harddisk looks like:
>
> sda1 = NTFS
> sda2 = Ubuntu
> sda3 = swap
> sda4 = LFS

i guess your kernel is missing the drivers for you disk controller.

ubuntu has no /dev/hda but /dev/sda.
for me this indicates your system has sata disks

just have a look at the thread "i really need help kernel panic", you
probably too didnt chose the correct sata modlues for your system.

from within ubuntu try "lspci" on the console and check what controller
your system has and activate the correct sata-driver.

finally you'll have to change /dev/hda4 to /dev/sda4 in your menu.lst

i hope this will solve your problem
tobias