> Changing sda->hda in menu.lst an fstab allows me to boot, though it
> still displays hda.  The proper sata driver is built into the kernel.
>  From your post, it sounds like I probably have an older drive that's
> taking precedence over the sata, which is causing this problem?
>
> Just for my information, boot when the disk is detected as hda rather
> than sda isn't going to do any damage, correct?  It would just read at a
> lower speed?

i don't think you'll have any performance issues with the pata driver.
you can use "hdparm -tT /dev/xx" to test the read-performance (bufferd +
cached). hdparm is part of blfs.

as within then next major kernel versions the old pata drivers might get
obsolete, all newer mainbords support sata, sata cabeling is blocking
the air-flow inside the case much less and actually sata drives are
already cheaper than pata i myself build the kernel without the old
ata/atapi drivers now for quite some time.

i just disable "device drivers" / "ata/atapi/mfm/rll"  as i had the same
strange behaviour on some mainboards when i enabled the ata/atapi to
support an pata-cdrom. on one of the mainboards the disk changed from
sda to hda when i changed the sata settings in the bios from legacy to
enhanced (or something like this), on another it remained always hda as
long as the general ide-driver was enabled in the kernel. (having sata
in the kernel and ata/atapi as a module might solve the problem, but i
didn't test it...)

tobias