J.P.Kaper wrote:
> I am building LFS from book 6.4 on an ext3 logical partition of an
> external USB harddisk.
> My host system is SUSE 10.3 on one of my two internal harddisks.
>
> Booting from the USB disk fails with
> "[4.410067] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount
> root fs on unknown-block (2,0)"

 From devices.txt

 2 block    Floppy disks
          0 = /dev/fd0        Controller 0, drive 0, autodetect
          1 = /dev/fd1        Controller 0, drive 1, autodetect
          2 = /dev/fd2        Controller 0, drive 2, autodetect
          3 = /dev/fd3        Controller 0, drive 3, autodetect
        128 = /dev/fd4        Controller 1, drive 0, autodetect
        129 = /dev/fd5        Controller 1, drive 1, autodetect
        130 = /dev/fd6        Controller 1, drive 2, autodetect
        131 = /dev/fd7        Controller 1, drive 3, autodetect

Some one correct me if I am wrong but
It looks to me that it is trying to boot/read/sync the floppy disk