Baho Utot wrote:
> I have finished my LFS-7.0 build and I have successfully booted it aafter
> solving some problems.
>

> The symlink /bin/sh to /bin/bash was missing.  I am looking into why that
> happened, but I see in the chapter06 in the bash section that the link is not
> created by hand.  I believe it should have beeen created by the package
> installation but it was not.  I have made this link by hand to fix this
> particular problem.

It's done in Section 6.6 - Creating Essential Files and Symlinks

> I have the following two issues to correct:
>
> When it now boots there is a line that states:
>       mount: mount point /dev/pts does not exist
> This appears in the boot sequence
>
> What is responseable for /dev/pts and why might it be missing?

It is mounted as
devpts         /dev/pts     devpts gid=4,mode=620  0     0

I suspect that /dev/pts should be created by udev, you might want to
comment that out of fstab to see if it is created and then try to mount
manually.  That's not a final solution, but it might give you some clues.

The most likely problem is a kernel configuration issue.  I don't know
what it would be, but it's not CONFIG_DEVPTS_MULTIPLE_INSTANCES.  I
don't have that set either.  What I do have set in that area is:

CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_CONSOLE_TRANSLATIONS=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VT_HW_CONSOLE_BINDING=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y

> The other issue I have is with grub2.  Upon trying to install it to the mbr
> using grub-install /dev/sda it puked saying that the core.img file was too
> big, hereby trashing the grub-legacy boot loader leaving the system
> unbootable. I will need to look into what/why/when the cause of the core.img
> file being too big.

How big is /boot/core.img?  It probably needs to be less than 31K.

/usr/sbin/grub-install is a script.  It's running

"$grub_mkimage" ${config_opt} -d "${pkglibdir}" -O ${mkimage_target}
--output="${grubdir}/core.${imgext}"
--prefix="${prefix_drive}${relative_grubdir}" $modules

Have the script print out what it thinks the variables are.  If there
are too many $modules, then that needs to be reduced.

You might also want to rebuild grub and make sure it finds xz.  There
have been some issues with that lately.

   -- Bruce