On Friday 27 January 2012 11:57:57 pm Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Baho Utot wrote:
> > I have finished my LFS-7.0 build and I have successfully booted it aafter
> > solving some problems.
> >

> > The symlink /bin/sh to /bin/bash was missing.  I am looking into why that
> > happened, but I see in the chapter06 in the bash section that the link is
> > not created by hand.  I believe it should have beeen created by the
> > package installation but it was not.  I have made this link by hand to
> > fix this particular problem.
>
> It's done in Section 6.6 - Creating Essential Files and Symlinks
>
> > I have the following two issues to correct:
> >
> > When it now boots there is a line that states:
> >     mount: mount point /dev/pts does not exist
> > This appears in the boot sequence
> >
> > What is responseable for /dev/pts and why might it be missing?
>
> It is mounted as
> devpts         /dev/pts     devpts gid=4,mode=620  0     0

I checked the fstab and it is correct

> I suspect that /dev/pts should be created by udev, you might want to
> comment that out of fstab to see if it is created and then try to mount
> manually.  That's not a final solution, but it might give you some clues.
>
> The most likely problem is a kernel configuration issue.  I don't know
> what it would be, but it's not CONFIG_DEVPTS_MULTIPLE_INSTANCES.  I
> don't have that set either.  What I do have set in that area is:
>
> CONFIG_VT=y
> CONFIG_CONSOLE_TRANSLATIONS=y
> CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
> CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
> CONFIG_VT_HW_CONSOLE_BINDING=y
> CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y

I have this currently in the config file

CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_CONSOLE_TRANSLATIONS=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VT_HW_CONSOLE_BINDING=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
# CONFIG_DEVPTS_MULTIPLE_INSTANCES is not set
# CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS is not set
CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD=y

I will rebuild the kernel and then try to find the udev script reponsible
for /dev/pts.

> > The other issue I have is with grub2.  Upon trying to install it to the
> > mbr using grub-install /dev/sda it puked saying that the core.img file
> > was too big, hereby trashing the grub-legacy boot loader leaving the
> > system unbootable. I will need to look into what/why/when the cause of
> > the core.img file being too big.
>
> How big is /boot/core.img?  It probably needs to be less than 31K.

ls reports the size of core.img 31901. I will try rebuilding it

> /usr/sbin/grub-install is a script.  It's running
>
> "$grub_mkimage" ${config_opt} -d "${pkglibdir}" -O ${mkimage_target}
> --output="${grubdir}/core.${imgext}"
> --prefix="${prefix_drive}${relative_grubdir}" $modules
>
> Have the script print out what it thinks the variables are.  If there
> are too many $modules, then that needs to be reduced.

I will have to look at that to see how to do this.