On Saturday 28 January 2012 07:22:24 pm Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Andrew Benton wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 17:06:44 -0600
> >
> > Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> There are three places /dev/pts is mentioned in the book:
> >>
> >> 6.2. Preparing Virtual Kernel File Systems
> >> 8.2. Creating the /etc/fstab File
> >> 9.3. Rebooting the System
> >
> > ...and on the udev page we have:
> > install -dv /lib/{firmware,udev/devices/pts}
>
> Good catch.  I forgot about that.
>
> > The bootscripts used to copy everything in /lib/udev/devices to /dev
>
> IIRC, that was dropped because udev did that for us.  AFAIK, it still
> does, at least on my system it does, but I'm still using udev-173 from
> LFS-7.0.  From the udev man page:
>
> "Static device nodes might be provided by kernel modules or copied
> from /lib/udev/devices. These nodes might not have a corresponding
> kernel device at the time udevd is started; they can trigger automatic
> kernel module loading."
>
> That quote is buried a bit on the page when discussing rules.
>

>    -- Bruce

I have worked through the problem with /dev/pts,
After seeing a post that I should have /lib/{firmware,udev/devices/pts} I
checked that and found that the pts directory was missing but the others were
indeed there.  After creating the pts directory it is now working.  Don't
know why it didn't get created, I checked my script for udev and
install -dv /lib/{firmware,udev/devices/pts was there and correct.

I will now check the rest of the system for correctness/working.  After which
I will then attempt to get LFS-7.0 working from lvm.

Thanks for all your support.