Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
Since I'm assembling hardware to get myself a Linux system, I'm thinking
of getting an SSD device (the older type or the newer M.2 type such as
Samsung 960 EVO).

I assume that going through the entire LFS installation from square one
will work with these devices. But are there any downsides to using them,
as opposed to using exclusively hard drives? Will compiling LFS run
significantly faster if I install the host Linux system on the SSD?

Years ago I installed a host system (Fedora) on /dev/sda and LFS on
/dev/sdb with no problems.

There are really no issues with using an SSD drive with LFS, You may want to give some options in fstab for mounted partitions. For example:

/dev/sda4  /  ext4   noatime,discard  1  1

As for performance, I once did an automated build in a ramdisk. There was no IO other than to RAM. The total speedup was 8% which is barely noticeable if at all. LFS is CPU bound.

  -- Bruce