On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 11:10:26AM -0600, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:

> Interesting points. Until recently I didn't concern myself with such speeds
> much, but used all default settings. I'm now retired and have time on my
> hands, and am getting a new CPU, MB and memory. I've been a bit confused by
> all the advertising numbers and hype, but think I understand what's going
> on.
>
> My new Intel CPU (i7 7700K) is spec'd at 2400MHz memory speed, but can be
> overclocked. Apparently it makes little sense to buy memory that is spec'd
> at a higher speed than the CPU is spec'd at, but advertising hype touts
> stuff like "3600MHz memory!" I stumbled on a bargain at Amazon for 3333MHz
> memory (less money for Prime members than lower spec'd memory for non-Prime
> members), so now I have an ASUS MB spec'd at 3866MHz, memory at 3333MHz and
> CPU at 2400MHz+. I don't have a clear idea what to do with all this new
> technology.
>
> It would be interesting to play with various memory speed settings as I
> compile LFS programs over the next few weeks.
>
> Comments?
>
> Alan

First, make the most of having time on your hands - the rest of us
will be doing all we can to encourage you to contribute, and then
suddenly you will have less time on your hands ;-)

But seriously, playing with new/current hardware is always
interesting.  I've had two iterations of A10 Kaveri hardware (ok,
you intel guys can snigger at that) - on the first one it was fun
and games getting it to run the memory at its rated speed.
Eventually that machine died (motherboard or capacitor fault, I
think).  The replacement worked briefly, then became unreliable - in
the end I swapped in the memoryfrom the broken one and it now runs
ok.  An A10 is an APU (integrated graphics), for which faster memory
is supposed to improve the graphics (no idea if that is general, or
only for gamers).

BUT: memory is not just the clock, it's the memory timings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_timings and various
DIMMs from different manufacturers might have different timings.

And at the end of the day it is questionable how much real
difference the variations will make.  For semi-recent but not i7
hardware, I would be extremely happy to get a 5% speed improvement
:)  But like Bruce, I find that each new toolchain makes the build
slower.  We are close to the point where a desktop i7 is the minimum
for comfortable compile times.  I hope to try a Ryzen soon-ish, but
I need to change monitors before I do that.

For me, my basic test - on a booted LFS system - is to rerun pass 1
binutils.  I haven't played with memory settings beyond persuading
htat original A10 to use what it had, but I also use this to compare
the times with various cpufreq governors.  If the memory speed does
actually make a difference, I'm sure it might show upo there - but
for that I am dubious about how repeatable the results are (unless
you use an rt kernel).

Whatever, find something to explore, and have fun.

ĸen
--
 Error: ( : 1) not enough arguments

Don't you just love Tiny scheme ?