On 4/24/2017 11:16 PM, Michael Shell wrote:

  Bruce,

Not to suggest that your results are anything less than the perfect truth
of the reality of the matter, but I'm a bit surprised by this. Can I ask
what kind of hard drive you had - was it anything especially fast?

Also, I think memory speed is a very important and grossly underrated
performance parameter. One could do a kernel compilation and compare
the results between various memory speed settings as a test. In fact,
I suspect that many online performance tests and benchmarks skew their
results (say to favor Intel over AMD, or whatever CPU they want to
show in a better light) by using a lower memory speed motherboard
setting with the "designated loser" than the actual RAM is rated for.
Most readers will focus on the CPU clock speed and will miss such a
difference.

   Mike

Interesting points. Until recently I didn't concern myself with such speeds much, but used all default settings. I'm now retired and have time on my hands, and am getting a new CPU, MB and memory. I've been a bit confused by all the advertising numbers and hype, but think I understand what's going on.

My new Intel CPU (i7 7700K) is spec'd at 2400MHz memory speed, but can be overclocked. Apparently it makes little sense to buy memory that is spec'd at a higher speed than the CPU is spec'd at, but advertising hype touts stuff like "3600MHz memory!" I stumbled on a bargain at Amazon for 3333MHz memory (less money for Prime members than lower spec'd memory for non-Prime members), so now I have an ASUS MB spec'd at 3866MHz, memory at 3333MHz and CPU at 2400MHz+. I don't have a clear idea what to do with all this new technology.

It would be interesting to play with various memory speed settings as I compile LFS programs over the next few weeks.

Comments?

Alan