On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 13:28:36 -0500
Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As for performance, I once did an automated build in a ramdisk. There
> was no IO other than to RAM.  The total speedup was 8% which is barely
> noticeable if at all.  LFS is CPU bound.

  Bruce,

Not to suggest that your results are anything less than the perfect truth
of the reality of the matter, but I'm a bit surprised by this. Can I ask
what kind of hard drive you had - was it anything especially fast?

Also, I think memory speed is a very important and grossly underrated
performance parameter. One could do a kernel compilation and compare
the results between various memory speed settings as a test. In fact,
I suspect that many online performance tests and benchmarks skew their
results (say to favor Intel over AMD, or whatever CPU they want to
show in a better light) by using a lower memory speed motherboard
setting with the "designated loser" than the actual RAM is rated for.
Most readers will focus on the CPU clock speed and will miss such a
difference.

   Cheers,

   Mike