This morning I was referred to this site with microcode updates:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27431/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File

But it claims to have microcode updates going back to the venerable "P54"
Pentium-90 and "P55" Pentium-233 MMX.  I'm confused.  We're not told these i586
CPUs, which don't do speculative execution, are susceptible to SPECTRE.  I
don't recall reading microcode *could* be updated on them!  I was afraid
microcode for the Pentium-3 family, a few of which I *can* still run, would be
neglected, but I don't know what to make of all this.  Making sense of Intel's
file names as relates to particular hardware is also obscure to me.

--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm