Hallo,

> Not all the microcode is to fix Spectre!
>
> My experience is that intel microcode for older processors does not
> get changed, but they copy it into the latest tarball.  When I

I dowloaded the 2018 microcode package and to my big surprise I found
files for old CPUs where there was no microcode update before.
06-17-06
06-0f-0b (two variants of Core2 Duo)

Here's a little shell script to create initrd for microcode update early
brushed up by looking up the CPU version. Change if you use AMD instead
of intel.
You need to add a line to /boot/grub/grub.cfg if it isn't there already.
The microcode file needs to be available in /sources.

menuentry "4.14.13-lfs-8.1" {
        set root=(hd0,1)
        linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.14.13-lfs-8.1 root=/dev/sda1 ro
        initrd /boot/microcode.img
}

#!/bin/sh

cd /sources
mc=$(ls -1rt microcode*| tail -1)
test -z "${mc}" && exit 1

cpu=$(awk '/^cpu family.:/{family=$NF}
           /^model..:/{model=$NF}
           /^stepping.:/{stepping=$NF}
           END{printf"%02x-%02x-%02x",family,model,stepping}' /proc/cpuinfo)

tar xf "${mc}" intel-ucode/"${cpu}"
test -f intel-ucode/"${cpu}" || exit 1
echo "# found intel-ucode/${cpu}"
cp intel-ucode/"${cpu}" /lib/firmware/intel-ucode/

mkdir -p /boot/initrd /lib/firmware/intel-ucode
cd /boot/initrd
mkdir -p kernel/x86/microcode
cp -v /lib/firmware/intel-ucode/* kernel/x86/microcode/GenuineIntel.bin
find . | cpio -o -H newc > /boot/microcode.img

Tschau...Thomas
--
"Do you wanna be a legend or a passing footprint on the sands of time?"