On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 02:31:27PM -0800, Paul Rogers wrote:

> > For matching filenames to hardware, I guess you mean the family -
> > - model - stepping part : I don't know of any way to convert that to
> > particular CPUs,
>
> /proc/cpuinfo gives us that, plus the microcode level.

No, it gives you that for the current CPU.  I thought you were
asking how to translate the file names in general.

> I have avoided using initrds, and want to continue to do so.  I don't build
> POD with the idea it will be thrown at arbitrary hardware.  Initial kernels
> are built monolithically to boot on reasonably common hardware of a certain
> vintage, but after booting the sysadmin is expected to soon build a
> customized kernel, eliminating a lot of HD drivers, adding NIC, ALSA,
> AGP/FB/DRI--none of which are *necessary* to boot.

I don't have any love for general initrds, but using an initrd for
microcode allows early loading - for a few intel machines with buggy
microcode, that is the only available method.

But since you aren't going to load new microcode without knowing
what it does (I suppose that means knowing what it claims to fix,
otherwise you would not be looking at microcode at all), for your
older machines I guess you will never apply any.

ĸen
--
Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.