On Sat, Jan 13, 2018, at 4:09 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Paul Rogers wrote:
>
> > Updating microcode can be a dangerous thing.  I've never found a need
> > to live on the bleeding edge of technology.
>
> I agree about bleeding edge issues, but leading edge is OK.  My view is
> that rc releases and betas or earlier are bleeding edge and latest stable
> is leading edge.
>
> I don't really think updating microcode is dangerous if you have control.
> After all, there is really no difference between firmware (aka BIOS or
> UEFI) loading microcode and the kernel doing it via an initrd.
>
>    -- Bruce

I agree, in principal, it's less dangerous than flashing a BIOS.  But as noted,
the updates rushed out initially have caused new stability problems for certain
CPUs.  Intel has had an imperious attitude about identifying the fixes for
users like us.  I want some "transparency" from Intel.  I consider our
ignorance as a "lack of control."  I just want to know if the microcode in the
bundle for Conroes has actually been updated for Spectre--if I were to assume
it has been, and it has not, nothing good can come from it.  One of the Conroes
I have in service is a Quad-Extreme, two 2.93MHz chips in a MCM package, not
quite the common thing and I think perhaps worthy of special attention.

--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm