> Not all the microcode is to fix Spectre!

True enough, but I don't feel an urgency to fix anything else.  ;-)

> My experience is that intel microcode for older processors does not
> get changed, but they copy it into the latest tarball.

Intel took some heat for their early attempts at deflection, which is why
they've released this ancient microcode, I suppose.  The question remains
whether it, say the P3 microcode, patches the Spectre flaw--if anybody still at
Intel even knows the P3 microcode well enough to do it!

> And no, I also don't think CPUs before the Pentium4 can have
> microcode updated at runtime.  But the P3 is apparently used in
> embedded products, perhaps manufacturers can use the microcode to
> refresh their bios.

Perhaps, but one sees little incentive for them.  I think we have to go
straight for the CPU ourselves with the Linux kernel.

> If you get microcode for an old Intel CPU, and load it, you should
> be able to see in dmesg the before/after versions, and the date.
> Alternatively, your motherboard may already be using that version.

/proc/cpuinfo says I've got microcode 0xcb on my twin Conroes.  I'm not even
going to *try* to update the microcode unless and until I can establish it's
going to mitigate Spectre.  Only one good thing can happen, many bad things.

A couple years ago, when I backed up my i7-940 with an i7-870, I checked for
microcode updates.  The 870 had one/some, the 940 did not.  Likewise, even if
updates are published, I need to know what they do before I make a move.

> For matching filenames to hardware, I guess you mean the family -
> - model - stepping part : I don't know of any way to convert that to
> particular CPUs,

/proc/cpuinfo gives us that, plus the microcode level.

> If you still have a problem, please ask.

I'm not going to *create* a problem until I have some confidence it's worth the
risk.  I'm certainly not going to take the risk, just to end up with the same
microcode level.  I want to see something from Intel that details what
microcode levels each of those files are at, and given the nature of things,
that Spectre is or is not mitigated.

> One further comment: although the debian microcode that I posted
> about last week does work as a (large) initrd to cover multiple
> machines (in early loading), I have no idea how to generate such a
> multi-machine initrd.  That is why near the top of the page I wrote:
> "Preparing firmware for multiple different machines, as a distro
> would do, is outside the scope of this book."
>
> ĸen

I have avoided using initrds, and want to continue to do so.  I don't build POD
with the idea it will be thrown at arbitrary hardware.  Initial kernels are
built monolithically to boot on reasonably common hardware of a certain
vintage, but after booting the sysadmin is expected to soon build a customized
kernel, eliminating a lot of HD drivers, adding NIC, ALSA, AGP/FB/DRI--none of
which are *necessary* to boot.

--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm