Whether a protection racket actually offers real protection
depends on who you are; a "client" (victim), "protector"
(extorter), or a "competitor" (rival mob / government). The
former would say "sometimes", the next would say "yes", and the
latter would say "no". It's easy to see how the only honest
answer would come from the client/victim. There's no doubt that
protection rackets offer "official" protection and extort money;
but they also offer "actual" protection to protect their source
of revenue. Whether that actual protection is their "primary"
service would also depend on the relative perspective. But even
if the client/victim gives a less flattering answer on that
question, the same could be said about government; since
"primary" would be determined by the amount of money and victims
extorted versus the amount of actual protection delivered. IOW:
If you want to argue FOR government, please provide evidence that
the amount of actual protection delivered is worth the amount of
money forcefully taken through taxes and the amount of people
forced to pay them at the point of a gun/prison.

"Too much fear will lead to rebellion or defection to other
protectors."
I'll give you that one. But the analogy holds. It's the same
rule-of-thumb for government.

It's interesting how you appear to argue against the better
analogy, but defend the poor one.

------------------------

>1) False. Each racket also protects payers from the real threat
>of competing rackets...

Not as their primary product, only as a secondary product.
However,
if the ratio shifts sufficiently to the point where protection
against external threats is the primary product and protection
against itself is non-primary, then I'd say that organization has

gone from being a government to an extortion racket.

>2) False. The more a racket flaunts their power to induce public
>fear, the more readily their "clients" will pay up...

Not necessarily.  Too much fear will lead to rebellion or
defection
to other protectors.

Tim Starr
Fight for Liberty!