On Saturday 12 April 2008 12:49, Zack Bass wrote:
> --- In LibertarianEnterprise@yahoogroups.com, "Roy J. Tellason"
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Friday 11 April 2008 23:34, Zack Bass wrote:
> > > the parking lot IS the employer's property, and he has
> > > a moral right to demand whatever terms he chooses to
> > > place upon entry thereto, including what weapons are
> > > in the car and what color the driver is.
> >
> > I disagree with this,
>
> Then you disagree with the libertarian principle of PRIVATE PROPERTY.

The ultimate property is one's own life.  NOTHING trumps that.  And while an
employer may offer cash and other considerations to offset a person's
spending a portion of their time there in such a situation,  they don't even
begin to come close to offering enough to make it worth one's life...

> The whim of th eProperty Owner is king.  He may be a flaming bigot, he
> may hate the sight of guns, whatever, it is HIS property.
> Your interests are of no consequence.  You may even be starving TO
> DEATH, and you have no right to intrude upon his peace there.
>
> > as what the employer might demand with regard to what's
> > in your car or not is going to have an effect on you
> > before you get to work and after you leave.
>
> Yup, that may be what he demands.

Doesn't mean he's gonna get it,  though.

> It's HIS property and he didn't have to let you onto it at all, so any
> conditions that do allow you on are his to make.

Yup,  and I can always choose to not abide by those conditions,  and they have
NO right to try and force any of them on me.  The worst they can do is ask me
to leave and not come back.  It's situations when people don't,  when they
feel like they have a right to be there and no matter what ("defiant
trespass" is how I've seen that addressed) that folks get into trouble.

> > And I've read that legal opinions suggest that an employer
> > that makes such demands is actually liable for anything
> > that might happen to you on your way home, even if you
> > make stops along the way
>
> Well.  U.S. Law.  There you go.  Has nothing to do with
> libertarianism, more's the pity. You can like The Law, or you can like
> libertarian Principles, you can't do both.  Not everyone is meant to be a
> libertarian.

Or I can say that in this particular case,  the law seems to make a certain
amount of sense.  And we're not talking legislation here,  we're talking case
law,  as in civil litigation,  which would be just as much of an issue in a
libertarian society as it is now,  and maybe more so.

-
M Dakin