Zack,

Interesting situation you propose.  Again, I will ignore the definition
of wealth but your question remains worth considering if I address
whether, say, Bolivians are better off, worsened, or remain the same.

Bill Gates has, in your scenario, purchase a controlling interest in
nearly all of the significant businesses in Bolivia.  That he offered
double the going rate suggests that Bill Gates is now insane or
extraordinarily canny.  The expected result will depend on how you judge
the perspicacity of Gates vs.  the former owners.

If Gates is sane, he would never have offered double the going rate
unless he confidently expected to be able to increase the value of his
holdings to exceed the amount he offered.  In other words, he has a
plan.  Perhaps it will work.  Bolivia may be better off.

If Gates is insane, he will probably lose most of his properties in time
to bankruptcy.  At which time, the remaining actual resources will be
put to more productive use.  Meanwhile, Bolivians still have his cash.
Gates has effectively donated his cash and holdings to Bolivians who,
hopefully, can make better use of it.)

Either way, Bolivia now has Gates running much of its business --
perhaps running it much better.  Gates does have ten Billion dollars
less; but he also has control of (by prior evaluation) five billion
dollars worth of Bolivia's economy. Bolivia also now has many former
owners of businesses with cash to spend.  Perhaps they will do so
wisely.   It seems entirely possible that Bolivia will enter a period of
immense renewal and growth.

Of course, Bolivia has just received a major injection of cash into its
economy.  The prices of labor and goods will be bid up for a time, even
if none of the injected cash is spent on consumer goods directly.

It seems to me that the only thing one can predict with certainty is
that things will not remain the same.