Zack,

(First let me say I share your opinion of 'modern art'.)

I really am trying to understand "where you're coming from."  Do please
have patience if I get it wrong.

You seem to want to draw a 'bright line' somewhere, such that on one
side of that line lies 'wealth' or 'TRUE WEALTH' and on the other side,
stuff that others falsely consider wealth.

(Are we ok so far? Is this actually what you're shooting for?)

If so, we have established our true disagreement.  I would contend not
only that such a line does not exist; but that such a line cannot
_possibly_ exist.  I claim that "wealth" however construed, is entirely
a matter of 'consideration'.  I've hinted at that at least, when I
suggested that there are various definitions of wealth and the none is
'entirely correct' but neither is any entirely false.  This is the
reason, at heart, that I consider it entirely fruitless to attempt to
define wealth.  However someone defines it -- it may be true _for them_.

A number of folks consider gold a valuable commodity and consider
themselves 'wealthy' if they have a lot of it.  Some such would continue
to believe themselves 'wealthy' even if the gold had no market value at
all.  They want it; if they ceased to want it and no one else wanted it,
they would no longer consider themselves 'wealthy' because of their gold
holdings regardless of how much they possessed.  They same would be true
regardless of the commodity involved.

No factory has any sort of absolute value.  It produces stuff.  It's
valuable largely to the extent, and only so long, as it can continue to
produce stuff that people want.  ( I say 'largely' to avoid the quibble
that someone could 'want' the factory itself as a piece of art, etc.)
That is, its value depends on the consideration of individuals -- how
much they value the stuff produced.

'Wealth', however construed, is entirely a psychological phenomena that
happens in the mind of individuals.  It is _highly_ related to 'want'
and, in particular, to unsatisfied wants.  That is, if no one wants X,
none consider X valuable and, regardless of the plenitude or scarcity of
X, the possession of no amount of X will make a person feel 'wealthy'.

Further, if everyone wants X, but everyone can have as much X as they
want, no one will likely feel 'wealthy' because they possess some
specific quantity of X.  Hence, for the vast majority of people,
'wealth' happens because of scarcity.  Consider how few people today
feel wealthy because they have wonderfully transparent glass windows in
their homes.

I do agree, that at any given time there is so much 'stuff' in the
world.  No amount of financial market hanky panky or jingle jangle will
change that instantly.  What can change, instantly, is how well people
regard that 'stuff'.

But I've been speaking largely of individuals.  Perhaps it's different
for a society taken as a whole.  Or for Beverly Hills.  I don't quite
see it; but perhaps, if you believe it to be so, you will persuade me.

G.