Good morning Lowell!

Lowell C. Savage wrote to Frank Reichert...

> So, apparently, you look at the same situation and decide that it means we,
> as a society, need to "hit bottom" before we can work our way up.

There seems to be some historical precident that suggests that
may be what it takes, yes.  There's also a giant risk involved,
and I'll get to that in a moment.

> Well, the risk in any incremental approach is that you get some things done
> and then the fashion changes (or people get tired of working toward the
> goal, or whatever) and then you don't get a chance to do the rest.  But
> right now, you certainly aren't going to get the "big bang" change to
> happen, so you've got to take what you can get.

The bottom line is, we aren't actually achieving anything.
Indeed, if incrementalism is a solution, it is both long term,
and the evidence certainly suggests that incrementalism is going
the wrong way, e.g.: more authoritarian and draconian steps away
from individual liberty rather than meagre steps toward more
individual liberty.

As an example, here in Idaho this year, a new law went into
effect banning smoking in any building open to the public, or at
least in most instances including restaurants, retail outlets,
etc.  This has been a national trend for a couple of decades, and
certainly points out incrementalism rather than a Federal ban
applicatable to all 50 states.

The above is a direct attack upon individual freedom on two
fronts. First it destroys the rights of property owners to make
choices on the use of their own property, and the right to choose
whether or not to allow smoking on their premises to their
customers.  Second, if strips away the right of individuals to
choose to patronize an establishment that either prohibs smoking
on the premises, or allows it in either certain restricted areas
of the owner's discretion, or carte blanc throughout the entire
establishment at the owner's discretion.

This latest bill is the culmination of incrementalism, and I have
not seen any evidence that would remotely suggest that during the
course of this period any progress has been made to reverse the
trend toward more authoritarian control by the Idaho State
government to restrict property owners over the use and control
of their own property, or restricting individuals their right to
choose to patronize or not to patronize establishments of their
own choice.

Of course, if you want to see other examples in which
incrementalism has been detrimental, you don't have far to look
either; Idaho's increasing fines on non-usage of automobile seat
belts is another example.  The fine doubled last year and it
shows that progress is even building toward police pulling over
vehicles when seat belt harnasses aren't fastened, which is not
now the case, although it is in both Washington and Oregon. In
other words, Idaho is moving toward more authoritarianism
incrementally, and there is very little evidence that suggests
that individual liberty is on the winning side.

> If people cannot be convinced to take a small chance with change in placid
> times, what makes you think they'll take a big leap of faith when all around
> seems to be falling apart?  The greatest friend of authoritarian governments
> is a catastrophe.  Even if you can make the argument that the government
> brought the catastrophe about, people are instinctively likely to believe
> that "more government" will be the solution.

Now we come to the 'risk' factor that I indicated above. Yes,
there is a giant risk that in a time of catastrophe, people will
choose more authoritarianism, as Germany, Italy and Japan did in
the 1930s. Some historians argue whether Japan was undergoing a
catastrophe, although most would agree that they were, both as a
result of the world-wide economic downturn, and the fact that
Japan was hopelessly bogged down in a long-term war in China and
the US had cut Japan's petroleum supplies. It is also true that
Japan's government was historically authoritarian, and in the
1930s this was also true, although they maintained a venere of a
parlimentarian democratic monarchy emulating that of Great
Britain.

However, in the case of the U.S., catastrophes give people a
choice, and sometimes at least, the bulk of the U.S. population
moves markedly away from authoritarianism, at least as a choice,
although the record shows that such a choice most often is not
followed through in terms of actual implementation.

There are two examples in recent history (the last fifty or sixty
years), e.g.: The economic catastrophe of the Great Depression,
in which Americans chose to presue more authoritaritarianism in
the Roosevelt regime, and second, the economic and foreign policy
disasters of the Carter regime in the late 1970s. Again, some
historians might argue whether or not the Carter regime's
bungling of U.S. economic and foreign policies constituted a
disaster; but evidence shows that Americans believed that a
looming disaster was indeed on the horizon with double digit
inflation and economic stagnation on the economic front, and the
Iranian hostage crisis that gripped not only the moment, but
showed that the U.S. had lost control in terms of allied support
in various hot spots around the globe.

Americans voted en mass to embrace the promises of a charismatic
leader in the form of Ronald Reagan, e.g.: promises to get the
government off of the backs of individuals and bring back
individual choice and the freedom to make both economic and at
least, some, social choices.

The irony here is that Americans made the right choice based upon
the promises and rhetoric, but the U.S. government actually grew
exponentially under the two terms of the Reagan regime to a point
where the choices made by Americans twice in the polls weren't
realized in terms of actual implentation.

I understand that a catastrophe always involves a tremendous risk
factor in terms of individual liberty and self-government.  There
is the risk that the majority of Americans in such an instance
might make the wrong choices as they did in the 1930s.  There is
also the possibility that Americans might come to the conclusion,
as we did in the late 1970s, that government was on the wrong
course, and choose to get government off of our backs and out of
our lives!

It can be argued, but the point that I wish to make is a fact of
life. There are a lot of Americans today who are simply treding
in the water waiting around for a catastrophe to finally hit.
Many of these people form the core of the Patriot movement, which
we hear very little about these days following the Oklahoma City
federal building bombing, and particularly in the aftermath of
9/11 where 'anti-government' rhetoric can land you in jail, or at
least a visit by the gestapo.

It is also true that America has never seen so much polarity as
we are undergoing now.  I believe that it can and should be
pointed out that Americans are largely solidified into three
segments, and I'll mention the third one first since they are
largely invisible:

1. Those who are disenfranchized, non-voters, those who have
given up or don't care much at all about anything the government
does, or doesn't do, and that includes a lot of people, everyone
from the Patriot and Constitutionalist folks mentioned above, to
those who just don't believe that government will ever be
anything but corrupt and largely irrelevant to their own lives;

2. The 'government can do no wrong' crowd which is a sizeable and
roughly equal block of citizens who characteristically vote
Democrat and embraced Al Gore in 2000, and John Kerry in 2004.

3. The 'government can be reformed' crowd who not always so
enthusiastically endorsed the G.W. Shurb regime in both 2000 and
in 2004. This is a largely mixed crowd, often driven by fear:
fear of terrorism, fear of drugs, crime and religious and social
changes.  Again, this crowd is a mixed bag, and they may or may
not have voted out of enthusiasm for the current regime as much
as out of fear of #2 above, and the fear of what government might
have become under a Kerry presidency.

It is also instructive to point out however that a percentage of
those comprising the third and winning catagory above show a
great deal of sympathy with the first catagory, with the only
difference being that somehow they voted out of fear, while the
first catagory already knew that voting at all would never make
any appreciable difference at all.

To substantiate this somehow just look at the subject line to
this thread again!  "Which one is for smaller government again?"
Even some of us here on Liberty Northest certainly question
whether or not the two major Parties, or perhaps even smaller
ones, will really finally deliver more self-government and
individual liberty.  Also, I want to point out that I didn't
start this thread, others here did.  But this is a common thread
that various other politically-oriented discussion groups are
also entertaining all the time.

> Even if you buy Gore's conclusion, you have to admit he chose a stupid
> argument to support it.  Yet, Gore's book was hailed as showing that he's a
> smart, even wise fellow.
> In other words, if you're looking for some kind of a catastrophe to "save
> liberty", be careful what you ask for...because you just might get it.

You are correct. There are tremendous risks inherent with a
catastrophic eventuality in which the outcome of such is
uncertain and unknown.

On the other hand, Americans are regulated in a way today that an
outside observer might consider an anticipation of catastrophe:
smoking in public places, huge increases in the number of police
and intelligence eavesdroping capabilities since 9/11 along with
a marked increase in attacks upon our civil rights, medical
rights to certain drugs.

It should be obvious that it might not take very much today to
plunge into a long-term and convoluted economic disaster. The
U.S. economy is straddled by a huge paper debt in both the public
and private sectors, and the economy itself is prefaced upon the
stability of a mountain of paper and electronic instruments based
upon absolutely nothing but shere confidence. Some of that
confidence has already disappated to a marked degree by the
dollar's slide against the Euro and a movement away from the
dollar as a world benchmark currency.

We should, of course, also mention here the shaky foundation of
the world's petroleum supplies, and the fact that the U.S.
through red tape and faulty environmental fears hasn't built a
petroeum refinery in over three decades, nor a nuclear power
plant in even a longer time, and has restricted known reserves of
petroleum exploitation in the west and in Alaska.  A considerable
portion of America's industrial production is continuing to slide
to more favourable economic climates in China and elsewhere.

The war on terror can't be won, but will likely undergo
increasing consuption of America's dwindling economic resources,
and social and individual rights will continue to deminish and
errode as a result. Social Security and Medicare taxation will
continue to increase and put an even greater burden upon this
dwindling productive sector, or a decrease in benefits or raising
the age of beneficiaries will be inevitable, both of which will
cause greater instability in social and economic terms.

Hopefully, in this process individuals will become more
self-reliant. Some of this may as a result take on both
quazi-legal or illegal activities, such as strengthening the
underground economy, although that will become harder and harder
to do as more sophisticated techniques are devised monitor the
actions and behaviour of individuals.

In the event of a true economic and/or social catastrophe, there
may become a silver lining as an eventual outcome. There are
today, as there always has been other institutional forces
outside of 'government' that individuals will gravitate toward
voluntarily to meet their needs. Some of this will be good, and
some will not be so good, but individual choice outside of
government will restructure our current passion and trust in
government solutions.

Churches, private organizations, and even the illegal drug
economy have economic and social organization and would exist
even if the U.S. economy and the dollar-based economic system
shatters. Many if not most of Americans would have an opportunity
to voluntarily move in directions of private choice in just about
all matters in which the government regulates or manipulates now.

Yes, the risk is there. But the choices and opportunities would
also be present, and it's my guess (and guess it is) that many
Americans in such a climate of freedom would finally choose to
break away from dependance upon government.

Kindest regards,
Frank