"Lowell C. Savage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in part:

>So, apparently, you look at the same situation and decide that it means
we,
>as a society, need to "hit bottom" before we can work our way up.

That always presents a problem because, practically, there is no bottom.
For just about any credible situation, one can imagine still worse.
Absolute rock bottom would be the extinction of humanity, but there's no
recovery from that.

>If people cannot be convinced to take a small chance with change in placid
>times, what makes you think they'll take a big leap of faith when all
around
>seems to be falling apart?  The greatest friend of authoritarian
governments
>is a catastrophe.  Even if you can make the argument that the government
>brought the catastrophe about, people are instinctively likely to believe
>that "more government" will be the solution.

And that's another reason there's never such a thing as rock bottom.

Sourly By Inert I,
Robert in the Bronx