On 01-Dec-04, Travis Pahl wrote:

 TP> I am not sure how this is relevant.  What I am saying is that in order
 TP> to help some reduce their spending themselves in debt, you have to stop
 TP> them from calling up the credit card company and asking for a increase
 TP> in their limit.  Will it solve the problem by itself?  No. But it will
 TP> help....

Travis, that's closing the barn doors after the horses are out.

 TP> ... The other side of it is that they need to stop spending.  The
 TP> problem is the republicans are a shopoholics and like most addicts,
 TP> refuse to admit they have a problem and even worse, they blame it on
 TP> their freinds the Democrats....

There is HUGE dissension within the GOP right now over the bloated budget.

 TP> ... When I point out that the republicans just called for another
 TP> increase to their credit limit to pay for yet another shopping spree,
 TP> roberts response is "the demcorats only voted against it to be
 TP> different." it is like listening to little kids squablle over stupid
 TP> things ignoring the real problem at hand....

You're both right, but I believe Robert sees the raising of the debt limit as
syptomatic rather than causitive. Failure to raise that limit would have
caused serious problems with govt bonds and the falling dollar would plummet.

 TP>>> ACtually i think most of the population is responsible....

 s>> Did you see the red/blue map broken down by counties?

 TP> That does not really show anything important.  First of all it shows
 TP> land mass rather than population, and it shows an all or nothing when
 TP> in fact many counties are 50/50+1.  And lastly, it just shows who
 TP> people voted for between two nearly identical candidates that most
 TP> voters thought were the only real choice.

They WERE the only two choices for people who insist upon voting for a
candidate with a chance to win.

 TP> It does not show however what people thought about increased spending.
 TP>  And in that regards most people i beleive do want a more controlled
 TP> limited spending from the feds.

The majorities in the blue pockets are people who LIKE govt spending.

 r>>>> And the news media have enormous influence on how representatives and
 r>>>> their issues are portrayed.  In effect the media move the voters, and
 r>>>> the voters move gov't....

 TP> Most republicans love fox news and talk radio.  Watch and listen to
 TP> them and you will hear/see people asking for smaller government all
 TP> the time.

True, and those in the blue pockets (almost half the voters) loathe Fox News
and talk radio. Fox News is available primarily on cable, whereas CBS, PBS,
NBC, and ABC are almost everywhere. Their influence is still enormous.

 TP>>> Who cares.  The media try to influence people, but the people voted
 TP>>> for republicans which you are claiming is a vote for smaller
 TP>>> government. The politicians should respond to the people, not the
 TP>>> media.

 s>> Politicians respond to polls. Polls are driven by the media. Period.

 TP> Polls are representations of voters views.

Have you mailed your list to Santa yet?