On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 18:33:25 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Travis Pahl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in part:
>
> >> Most people call Pataki and Guiliani "liberal" or "moderate"
> >> Republicans.
>
> >They were also the stars of the convention.  They along with Arnold
> >are always mentioned as the future of the party.  Does that say
> >something to you?
>
> Yes, it says what I wrote here a few months ago -- that there's opportunity
> for libertarian/authoritarian leverage in the GOP.  Giuliani and
> Schwarzenegger are frequently mentioned in one breath by Republican
> observers as rising stars and as moderates.  And looked at on a
> "left-right" scale they may be about equal.  However, on the
> libertarian-authoritarian axis there's a great difference between them.

They both seem fairly authoritarian to me.  Arnold sometimes speaks
about economic freedom but his actions since taking office have shown
him to be a typical republican.

> What that means is that influential people in the Republican Party are
> mostly indifferent between libertarian and authoritarian "moderates".  That
> means it would take relatively little influence by either libertarians or
> authoritarians to get one type or the other installed in major offices.
> That's leverage.

So I should support the republicans to try and get more like arnold in
office?  No thanks.

> >yeah, it is scary to read his platform in 32.  It sounds so free
> >market that you would never guess it is FDR.
>
> And yet you seem so vehement about the Libertarian Party -- as if it
> couldn't happen with them.  But we'll never find out, because they're never
> getting into power.

They have gotten elected to many offices and they have had a far
better success rate at keeping their promises.

> >Like the huge demand to end rent control in NYC?  (something other
> >cities did all at once decades ago)
>
> And which is being phased out in NYC as well.

yeah, what is this, the 25th aniversary of it being 'phased out'?  It
seems more entrenched then ever to me.

Travis