Good evening, Tim!
> Lowell
>
> > In fact, a few of them even accuse the President of secretly
> > telling Congresscritters to make sure the bill didn't reach his
> > desk.
>
> > Had he done so, it would not have violated his promise to
> > "sign the bill."  And, so far as I know, he has not denied that
> > he did so.
>
> This does not seem good to me.

I don't know why.

> > After 8 years of parsing Clinton, "if it gets to my desk,
> > I'll sign it" is a model of clear political speech.
>
> Clear? Hardly if it allows Bush to go against the bill.

Remember, Bill Clinton was telling the truth when he said "I did not have
sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky."  You see, he did not consider the
things he did with her to be sex.  We had 8 years of Bill Clinton saying
stuff like that (regarding his scandals, his policies, his actions, his
intentions, his ... you get the picture.)  EVERY time Bill said something,
you had to look at every word and ask if there was some meaning to the word
that could give him an "out" of some sort or make it possible that the
sentence meant something entirely different than most people would think.

Compared to that, Bush's promise might not be the most straightforward of
statements, but you don't have to "re-interpret" any words to say that he
did not break his promise if he put some pressure on people to keep the bill
off his desk so that he wouldn't have to completely fulfill his promise by
signing it.

> I do not know the full context but it sounds to me like
> Bush was implying a neutral position on the bill, prior to
> it getting to his desk.

The context is this.  In 1994, Congress passed and Bill Clinton signed the
"Assault Weapons Ban" into law.  In order to get it through Congress, a
sunset clause was added.  It would expire in ten years.  So, unless another
law was passed, on September 13, 2004 (the 10-year anniversary of Bill
Clinton's signature), the law would cease to have any effect.  In September,
2000, during the campaign, Bush was asked about this law and whether he
supported renewing it.  His reply was (this may not quite be a quote) "If it
reaches my desk, I'll sign it."

Personally, I think that everyone who was interested in the issue understood
at the time that this was a classic fence-straddle.  He wasn't committed to
pushing it, but he wasn't going to publicly oppose it either.  It was
essentially saying "I don't care either way--go bug someone else about this
issue.

Lowell C. Savage
It's the freedom, stupid!
Gun control: tyrants' tool, fools' folly.