Frank

> Would you really have liked to see John Kerry raising the spectre
> of human rights given his own historical past, and voting
> record?  Actually, that might have shot him in the foot even

I do not know that much about Kerry but I assume you are referring
to regulations he has voted in favour of and similar items.

I am particularly focusing on human rights, in particular the right
to be free of torture.

Perhaps you could say if Kerry has ever advocated or supported
the use of torture in the current context.

> You're certainly right about one thing, and I'll have to give you
> a huge credit for that certainly, we do need to look for
> candidates who have a proven historical human rights record.

Well, since we disagree on so much, it is nice to find an area
of agreement.

>  You
> may not be entirely familiar with American political
> personalities, but we do have one gentleman in the US Congress,
> Congressman Dr. Ron Paul from the State of Texas who does have a
> stellar historical voting track record on human rights.  He has
> served several terms in the US Congress, and has been an
> outspoken critic of the Iraq aggression by the US, and also on
> such things as the draconian 'anti-liberty' Patriot Act.

Ron Paul was mentioned on this list previously. I did some research
at the time and it seems that he is very anti-regulation.

I am a pragmatist. I am not against all regulation but I feel
that we should be clear about what the regulation is intended to
achieve and see whether it can be rationally determined that
the regulation is achieving the goal.

If the goal is not being reached, then one has to ask, why
bother rigging the market in this way?

I guess I have a similar view on torture. If one weighs the
benefits and disadvantages of allowing it, then one will come
to the conclusion that it is not worth it.

Likewise the idea of detaining people on reasonable suspicion
is something that, to my mind, needs careful explanation and
justification. Tony Blair only seems to say "the security
services say they need this power".

I have not looked at the Patriot Act but I saw a television
programme yesterday which seemed to suggest that it permits
the US government to detain on secret information. If so,
my first thought would be to ask, do we really need the
government to have that power?

I should also draw a distinction between civil liberties
and human rights.

> But the second front you raised concerning winning hearts and
> minds is something that I personally believe can never be
> achieved by resorting to the use of lethal and deadly force by US
> military action.

Well, I would draw an analogy between the use of force by the
police and the use of force by the US in support of mandatory
UN resolutions.

Regards
Tim

Crusade - The Long Road
Villager: We're fools to live like this, to throw
  away our guns, our machines.