On 8/20/05, Lowell C. Savage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does it always have to be an "all-or-nothing" deal?
>
> If it takes a 1000 page document to get freer trade than was had before,
> that would be a good thing.  Of course one might wish for a one-sentence
> deal like "There shall be no import taxes on good from any party to this
> agreement nor shall any party to this agreement subsidize their goods to the
> detriment of other parties."  Of course, then there's the question of health
> and safety regulations, import inspections, what constitutes an import tax
> and what constitutes a subsidy, and....

Those 'questions' are not really questions at all.  People are fairly
good at determining what is healthy and safe.  Subsidies and import
taxes are not to hard to define.  These 'questions' are really just
excuses by special interests to get things they want passed.

1000 page documents have never made us freer.

> Now, if you can show me that one or the other of these led to less-free
> trade, then you've got a case.

Show me it led to free trade and you have a case.