Good morning, Frank...

Frank Reichert wrote:

> Good evening Dave!
>
> Before proceeding further into this post, and since I am unable
> to contact you via normal email, let me ask how we stand for the
> mid-afternoon breakfast-luncheon, get-together on October 15th?
> I'm rather looking forward to this, if we can finally pull one of
> these off once again!

We're on! I may even have Lon Woodbury talked into attending, if his
schedule permits, which would make for some really well-rounded
discussions. However, we are definitely on!

> I don't know.  Since I am not centred on the 'right wing' of
> American politics, and can't honestly understand their concern
> over this nomination, (since it appears that the so-called
> liberal Democrats don't find any special problem with it, so far
> at least) -- actually, this is something I could envision coming
> out of the original unrated and uncensored movie "Caligula", that
> is a disjointed legislature bowing to the interests of the
> present emperor of the US government!

Oh, yes, I *forgot* the requisite groveling before the graven image of
George W. Bush. <Dave does a lackluster job of groveling>

> Yes. I own a copy of the original uncensored and uncut movie
> Caligula.  And although it is raw in sex and graphic detail, it
> also shows in graphic detail how Rome's national legislature, the
> Senate, was hopelessly drawn into the frightening prospect of
> promoting a 'god' in the name of the Emperor, of sorts, who finds
> a way to humiliate the body so much, that the emperor really gets
> pretty much what the emperor demands.

I have drawn several comparisons between Caligula and our current Mayor,
here in Spokane, recently. ;-) After the press released the sordid details
of Jim West's secret affairs with young boys on the Internet, not to
mention the mysterious contents of his city-owned hard drive, which he has
sued to prevent the investigators from viewing, there is now a
citizen-based recall effort underway, and he may be toast. He obviously is
not a student of history.

> Now, you have to understand here too, that politics (particularly
> today in America) just has to be the filthiest enterprise on
> earth.  You have to wonder too, just how our nation can survive
> such rotten filth when it is shoved directly into our face in
> such a nomination as Harriet Miers to actually sit on this
> nation's highest court!  Nothing much really surprises me much
> any more, but this nomination, supposedly blessed by the liberal
> left wing of the Democratic Party, and damned by the radical
> right conservatives, does indeed raise some eyebrows, now doesn't it?

Boy howdy! What is utterly compelling to me is her profound political ties
to George W. Bush, not to mention her total LACK of provable experience as
a judge. In the world of Bush-Speak, however, she is a keeper in George's
mind, and therefore, she is qualified to serve as a judge. Yeah, sure.

> Let me be blunt here, if I may.  We have a prostitute nominee who
> is offered a seat of power on this nation's highest court. She
> obviously has served the Emperor rather well over the years, and
> the Senate seems unable, or unwilling, to contest the Emperor,
> for what reason only time will tell, maybe a threat of sorts to
> the Empire!

Anyone who disagrees with the Bush inner think tank is a threat to
democracy. I thought you knew. ;-)

> Whether or not most Americans today would agree with me that we
> live in an Empire of appointed and approved characters, is
> irrelevant really.  We do have an American Empire, and it shows
> itself in such military adventures that are taking place, and
> have taken place during the last five decades, the latest one
> being an outright assault upon the Islamic world at the central
> focus of such civilizations as Iraq, Afghanistan, but going much
> further than that certainly.

One of the facets of this Bush administration is the red ink bleeding from
the national deficit in astronomical quantities. Marty Hibbs and I were
discussing this the other day, and since that time I have been
unsuccessfully trying to put some "real" figures to just how deeply in
debt we actually are, allowing for the Katrina-mandated overhaul. From
what I have been able to discern, the government-mandated repair and
rebuilding after a hurricane of such monumental proportions is not without
precedent in history.

The Feds, after all, paid dearly for the overhaul of Homestead AFB in
Florida, the overhaul of Brownsville, Texas, is a matter of public record.
What is startling to me, being somewhat naive about such things, is the
amount of foreign aid that flows, unabated, while our own country
struggles to rebound from a natural disaster. Then, there is the cost of
the War in Iraq, which should never have happened to begin with, in my
opinion.

It seems Bush's budgetary tsars are not paying attention to their history.

> By contrast, the Roman Emperor Culigula lasted about three years,
> before being assainated by members of the Roman Senate. The Shrub
> has managed not only to last for his first four-year term in
> office, but was re-elected to a second term of another four
> years!  And the Senate still seems to go along with the first and
> present nomination to this nation's highest Court!

However, I predict this nomination may not go as smoothly as his first.
She has *no* history as a jurist, and I believe (although I could be
wrong) that traditionally has been something that the Senate likes to
dissect in detail. Perhaps it is fond wishes on my part, but I certainly
*hope* the Senate has the integrity to at least question the process,
rather than the candidate. It is, after all, cronyism carried to an
obscene height, and as such, it should be brought to public scrutiny,
rather than accepted out-of-hand. However, as your comments note, there is
the matter of the Emperor who, it sometimes seems, has bought and paid for
every vote.

> Well thank you!  Actually history is probably my strong suit.
> Which is why I introduced the original film Culigula into this
> strange mix of things you just brought up tonight about our most
> recent Supreme Court nominee from our Emperor.  You should
> probably understand what I am thinking somewhat to understand why
> I chose tonight to parrellel the two empires together.  But
> actually, Culigula wasn't a military genius either. He was rather

Now THERE is an interesting parallel, indeed, for Bush is most certainly
NOT a military genius. Like Daddy before him, he is, as you note below, a
total imbecile, both economically and militarily. He let Osama bin Laden
escape the snares set for him, and Osama bin Laden is the man who caused
the debacle on 9/11.

> an imbesil, and would-be survivalist of sorts, much of what
> appears to be the case in our present leadership in our own
> country. Caligula's reign only lasted a short 3 years or so
> before he was finally assainated and done away with. Emperor
> Claudius Caesar, also an imbesil replaced him and largely did
> away with some of the inept corruption and political cronism, but
> didn't spoil the results of an Empire that had already become
> largely in sharp decline.  I don't like to talk about fate. But I
> have to wonder also how long an Empire can exist when it is led
> by imbelsils?

That, too, is a fair question. I cannot help but wonder how deeply this
nation can go into debt before our foreign "partners" start calling in the
debt?

> Regardless of this. Our own system is largely in place now. And
> should this cronyism be allowed, we can likely ancitipate a
> reciprocal end to American tyranny and hegemony, and Empire no
> less, which we have enjoyed since the end of the Second World War.

Through Marty, I have been reading a remarkable amount of history lately,
and the question you ask is heard over and over again, through the eyes of
various writers, both conservative and liberal. Bush's knowledge and
comprehension of military history notwithstanding, how much longer can
this nation continue to spend, spend, spend without end? How much longer
will American voters allow cronyism to survive?

Good questions, all...

Dave
--
Dave Laird ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
The Used Kharma Lot / The Phoenix Project

An automatic & random fortune for the Minute:
Blonde traffic stop:
But Officer, I stopped for the last one, and it was green!