Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:06:03 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Infra red for 2 Libs?

>From: Pres Waterman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>IIRC you need a networking protocol IPX/SPX ( normally for Novell ) to be
>installed for DCC to work. See, even though DCC is a serial/parallel file
>transfer, it uses Dial-Up Adapter and IPX/SPX to talk on, not NetBEUI or
>TCP/IP like you would think.<
>
>Get Dial-Up Adapter installed, and bind IPX/SPX to it, at a minimum, and
>let us know if THAT works...<

Pres,

Okay... IPX/SPX are installed on each Lib, and Dial-Up Adaptor on both
already had bindings to IPX/SPX, NetBEUI, and TCP/IP.

I still had no luck connecting with DCC trying most available ports.

I noticed in the Network settings that both the 'Ifrared Adaptor' and
'Ifrared Protocol' were indentified as being 'serial'.  I usually use
'Parallel cable on LPT1' for the cable I have.

So I switched settings for host and guest to 'Serial cable on COM1'.  That
failing, I tried to 'Serial cable on COM3'.  Then I switched host and guest
for each Lib for these ports.  Still no luck.

Just to review a list of things to check for DCC, I confirmed this old list
of David's for getting DCC going:

---------------

1) make sure it's a Laplink/DCC compatible parallel port cable, not a
standard printer cable!
2) make sure bi-directional/ecp/epp is selected in the bios.
3) make sure you've got IPX/SPX installed on both (known MS Windows bug that
DCC won't always work on TCP/IP alone).
4) make sure both PCs have the same workgroup name, different PC names in
Network control panel.
5) make sure you have Client for Microsoft Networks installed in the Network
control panel and have Share Files selected.
6) make sure login to Microsoft networking is choosen, and that you do when
staring both machines.
7) make sure drives to be shared are set in My Computer by right clicking
drives, selecting 'share'and configuring settings.

However I have had DCC working previously.  Strange though that I found
IPX/SPX missing today.  I transferred some files with DCC just recently.

I did notice in the Network settings that the Dial-Up Adaptor settings show
a check box for binding it to 'Fast Infrared Protocol'.  However try as I
did to get that binding to stick, at each reboot it was unchecked again.

I didn't have much more progress with other computer tweaks today either :-(

Matt