Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 06:28:54 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Confusion over W98 drivers for 100CT

Okay... it looks like I've got most everything set up and running pretty smoothly on this L100. After reading Lee’s comments, I went back and re-installed the latest BIOS to make sure my messing around trying to load 'APM tp ACPI' didn't mess that up. And then I went for the Win98SE installation that went in purring. This time I used the right sound drivers for the 100CT that I found listed with the 50CT drivers on the ToshUSA site, and sound recording works fine now.

I've ghosted the first, very raw OS installation with just video, sound, and FDD drivers... and then another with most of the other basic things I usually use.

But I still haven't loaded the Toshiba Utilities, and the power saver Win98 'update' which Lee has warned must be loaded >after< the Tosh Utilities, and the fast IR drivers.

So here's my question at this point: What's the best method is of installing the Tosh Utilites... which are referred to as 'Toshiba Controls' on the ToshUSA support page, as well as the file name l100ctrl.exe. The readme says to go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Windows Setup tab, click 'Have Disk', and navigate to the folder with the files extracted from the l100ctrl.exe archive.

I notice that the l100ctrl.exe file is a self extracting zip file that automatically installs its contents. So that's a second method of installing the drivers not covered in the readme.

I guess both methods are probably safe, but at this point, I thought I'd just ask and make sure people haven't found problems with one method or the other.

After this, I'll make my last ghost backup and be able to restore the setup at 3 points of the process. At this point I've got a bunch of my most frequently used software set up .

Thanks folks!

Matt

PS: The CF PC card reader seems to be working most of the time now. But I notice it’s slower to be recognized than it is on my L70 w/W98. And if I have a bunch of apps running on the L100, it will still freeze on occasion when I pull the reader out.