Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 02:28:08 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Valvoline SynPower Penetrating Lubricant

After an afternoon of searching stores, this is the only spray lubricant that touted itself having synthetic components, or as the label reads: 'Synthetic Polymers'. Could this be what you used david?

It does list petroleum products in its list on components. I had been avoiding everything containing petroleum based components, thinking as Neil put it about the lubricating the M820E:

"If it's nylon runners on polished metal slides, don't even begin to
let the idea of mineral oils begin to consider the possibility of
starting to think about crossing your mind!”

However Neil also added:

"Generally things like that <snip> require either silicon or teflon
based lubricants." Now all of the lubricants I found that being
touted silicon and teflon lubricants, also had petroleum additives
listed as components.

I didn’t find a single spray lubricant that didn’t have some kind of petroleum product listed as a component.

This Valvoline 'SynPower' is advertising itself as a 'penetrating' lubricant better than WD-40. Now I don't think I really want to put a penetrating oil of any sort on the metal rails of the HP's laser drive components, do I?

A guy at Pep Boys said he had a can of synthetic spray >grease< at home that he got when he worked at a German auto repair shop. It would seem the rails for the HP laser assembly would need a fairly fine lubricant, but how thick this 'grease' is, I don't know. And I've always understood that penetrating lubricants are made more for the purposes of dissolving than for actually lubricating.

Any thoughts?

Matt