Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 03:07:35 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Valvoline SynPower Penetrating Lubricant

From: barnacle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> The Valvoline stuff, even though it puts out an odor that takes
> forever to dissipate, works fine in my HP m820e.  Just used the
> straw, dropped a few drops over the rails, moved the heads back
> and forth by the gears a few times to get total coverage, and
> that was it.  Working fine ever since.
Well, I'm still wondering if what I got the other day was the Valvoline product that David said he used.

I brought the problem to the attention of a friend whose family business was developing lubricants and adhesives in the 40s - 90s before the family finally sold and retired (the guy building the Wurlitzer in his 'barn' I mentioned Neil). Here's what he wrote back:

"If the bearings are Nylon or Delrin (looks like Nylon) then usually no liquid lubricant is needed or desirable. Liquid lubes collect dust and gum up. Sometimes a lubricant is dissolved in a volatile solvent which is there to be a vehicle to carry the lube into the bearing area. The solvent flashes off leaving the lubricant where it will do some good. If you have to lube Nylon, I'd use a dry teflon lube. It comes in a spray can with a volatile carrier. Maybe call the manufacturer's service Dept. for instructions. And I don't think that lack of a lubricant is causing failure to write. Maybe send your drive to the guru on the Libretto List? Nothing succeeds like success."

You might find a teflon lubricant in drop form in a gun shop.
Seems you're both speaking the same language... though he was referring to David there.

ISTR
that they were sold in the UK for air rifles and pistols because
they didn't diesel. OTOH I've never been in a US gun shop, they
might consider air weapons beneath their contempt.
;-P .... It's awfully good to have you back to keep a smile on our faces Neil!

Just for the fun of it, check this out:

http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/atc/20020821.atc.19.ram

Matt