Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 02:32:21 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Valvoline SynPower Penetrating Lubricant

From: David Chien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The Valvoline stuff, even though it puts out an odor that takes forever to dissipate, works fine in my HP m820e. Just used the straw, dropped a few drops over the rails, moved the heads back and forth by the gears a few times to get total coverage, and that was it. Working fine ever since.
Then are you saying that what I bought the other day is in fact what you're using? The description of it as a 'Penetrating Lubricant' below the name of the product, 'Valvoline SynPower with Synthetic Polymers' made me wonder if this was what you had... as you hadn't indicated anything about 'penetrating'.

If I didnt' have the Valvoline, I'd probably start off with the WD-40 stuff ... <snip>
Well if what I have here is the same Valvoline product as you're talking about, I guess I'm set.

Anyways, metal tape really doesn't do much as far as I can see. Nothing electrically there, maybe used only because it won't stretch or pull out of shape like plastic tapes?
That sounds reasonable. The sides of the metal sheilding are a bit springy, and any tape that flexed may not hold it all together for long. But there's really nowhere for it to go I guess.

I was worried about the fact that there were no screws holding the laser mechanism to the base as you had described. But after probing with a pin, I’ve found there are no threads in what seemed like screw holes in the 3 posts that support the mechanism. 3 doughnut shaped cushions had been slipped onto the posts to provide a base for the mechanism flanges to sit on. And glued to the top of the metal flanges are white, rubbery ribbed cushions that apparently press against the lid assembly when it’s screwed together to the base.

The only two screws I see are the tiny ones holding the top plate of the assembly down. I wonder if your model was a different run than this one.

But my bigger concern is that there were no screws in the 3 posts that support the laser mechanism. There's a kind of lock washer like ribbing on three flanges that jut out from the main mechanism

Matt