Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 19:46:04 EDT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [LIB] Toshiba Laptop Selection

In a message dated 7/12/2004 7:40:33 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> > I can afford.  I'm looking for a PII machine, in the 300-400mHz range,
> > preferably not a heavyweight but fairly light/thin, maybe a 10.4" or 12"
> LCD.
>
>   Only Librettos with these specs would be the Libretto L1 through L5 series
> that were sold in Japan.  (see www.conics.net for Yahoo Auctions Japan
> purchases for these items as well as www.ebay.com for the occassional L
> series
> that appears there)
>
>   eg.
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31561&item=3491458058&;
> rd=1
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31561&item=3492355952&;
> rd=1
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3717&item=3492766810&;
> rd=1
>
> ----
>
> Otherwise, what does she want?  Light/small/expensive or heavy and cheap?
>
> For heavy & cheap, any of the Toshiba Satellite A series on sale at $899
> after
> rebates or usually for ~$1000:
> eg.
> http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=313043&;
> pfp=BROWSE
>
> ----
>
> Unfortunately, all of the lightwieght, new laptops are expensive, so here,
> you'll spend $1500-2200 easily.
>
> eg. Fujitsu P5000 $1500+
> http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=P5
>
> eg. Sony TR series $2200+
>
> http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_Brow
> seCatalog-Start;sid=U3XSGOH0RpnSQKEHaMXYE6769QtXBCFi7LQ=?CategoryName=cpu_VAI
> ONotebookComputers_TRSeries&Dept=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers
>
> ----
>
> Basically, for school, you'll want 1) CD-RW to burn backups of reports, etc.
> 2) at least an Ethernet connection, but hopefully, either built-in WiFi
> and/or
> PCMCIA card for cheap WiFI card, 3) decent battery life of 3+ hours 4) a
> decent
> keyboard that she like typing on else cramps will happen and papers won't get
> done.
>
> Other than that, really, anything will do fine.
>
> (Just avoid HP/Compaq's -- the worst in reliability ratings vs. else in the
> 2003 PC Magazine and PC World User Reliability Surveys - see their websites
> for
> both.)
>
> Would not get a used notebook (unless it's a Toshiba Libretto, right? ,)
> simply because everything takes up so much processing power nowadays, you
> really will lose productivity on older, slower notebooks.
>
> (Yes, my L110 with Win98SE runs fine for the basics like email & WP, but
> realistically, it's too slow to do anything else worth doing --
> presentations,
> [...]

Thanks, David, but as Neil surmised in his later email, I'm looking for a
non-Libretto Toshiba laptop in the cheapo category.  Current finances prevent
consideration of $1000 (or anywhere near that!) laptops.

I've been impressed with the ease of upgrading of my Libretto compared with a
Sony Vaio I own, and the web site support Toshiba provides is far better than
Sony.  And I wholeheartedly agree, no Compaqs or HPs.

My guess is my daughter will not require great processing power for the first
couple of years.  I'm still using my PII-366 Sony (albeit shade-tree
upgraded) for my work and it handles spreadsheets, the occasional database, and
AutoCAD-LT OK.

Thanks for the input.

Lee