Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:02:45 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [LIB] Libretto 70CT - Replacment hard drive?

From: Jonathan DuQueno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

However I think the hard disk is dead :( says no system disk when try to boot, the BIOS config page confirms this. However there is a 2GB drive installed (felt very hot when I opened it up). I managed to boot off Win 95 floppy but can't install because "no hard drive".

My guess is the hard drive is dead, is there anything else that could be causing this problem?

You could try getting a cheap 3.5" to 2.5" IDE adapter, and plugging the HDD into a desktop system. If that system fails to recognize it, it's probably shot. You could try downloading a drive repair/check utility from the manufacturer, and running it on the drive on either system. There's a (very) remote chance that may repair problems if they exist.

I'd skip W95 and go right to W98SE if I were you. SE has a much larger set of later drivers.

Are there any bios limitions on replacement drives? Can I use any 2.5" <9.5mm laptop drive? Would a 20GB or even 40GB drive work?

I think I've seen some mention of potential problems well over 100GB, though I'm not really sure. 20GB - 40GB HDDs have been routinely installed by list members. The process is in the list archives, as it takes a few setup tricks to overcome the Libby's 8GB drive size limitation in its BIOS.

After installing any version of Windows, be sure to install the Libretto 70CT sound drivers after installing it. I had a lot of problems getting the audio for DOOM in DOS to work with W98SE until I finally did that. And it seems I had to boot right to DOS to get audio in DOS. I don't think the audio worked from a Windows DOS prompt. Though maybe it was the other way around.

Matt

Wanted: 110 motherboard or bare bones 110 system

Libretto list info: