Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:03:57 +0200
From: Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Libretto 70CT - Replacment hard drive?

Matthew Hanson wrote:
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:45:51 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

How did my email address get into here?

Right: Put your new HD back in your Lib70.
Then, get a Win98 boot disk (e.g., boot98.exe for Win98 OEM from www.bootdisk.com), make a boot floppy from that and use it to boot your Lib. Use the FDISK on that boot floppy to wipe all partitions and try to make the biggest primary partition you can with your new HD *inside* the Lib70 (answer "yes" to large HD support). Format the partition (it will be FAT32).

(the reason to do it inside the LIB is that you then can make the maximum partition size below the hibernation area.)

Next, put the HD back in the desktop, boot the desktop also from that Win98 boot floppy. Use FDISK from the Win98 boot floppy to make an extended partition using all the rest of the HD space.

(the reason to do this next step in the desktop is that your desktop's BIOS (hopefully) doesn't suffer from the limitations that the Lib's BOS has w.r.t. HD size.)

Hmmm.... doing all the partitioning at this point.  Okay... insteresting.

Of course. Easiest way to go.

In the new extended partiton, assign the first 50 MB to a temporary logical partition - this will be the future hibernation space. Then make logical partitions as you like, e.g. the 12 GB you suggested. Format this/these partition(s) (it/they will be FAT32)

Only then delete the first 50 MB logical partition. You will have a "hole" there. If FDISK doesn't allow that, you can delete the 50 MB partition using WinXP's disk management.

If all is well, your HD can now be used inside the Lib70 without use of EZ-drive. Before you put it back, boot into WinXP and copy the Win98 CD contents onto the logical partition.

It sure seems like I've had XP remove the Active status of drives that I've added to desktops that way Philip. Though I don't think it did it consistently. It would be a lot easier going this route than the route via DOS I outlined. I guess you could boot the Lib drive from a W98 boot floppy in the desktop with the drive as the only hard drive connected, and use FDISK to reset the Active status if that occurs though, right?

Yes.

P.