On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 4:31 AM, Hans de Goede <hdego...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 04/23/2012 07:31 PM, Garret Kelly wrote:
>> Then we should begin actively discussing this issue with the people
>> who it _is_ up to. Preferably who're going to be doing the distro
>> packaging, because they're going to want to be a part of this.
>>

> Short self intro: I'm a libusb developer *and* the Fedora package
> maintainer of libusbx and one of the "forkers". One of the reasons
> why libusbx-1.0.x is a drop in replacement and thus "steals" the
> soname, is because I specifically asked it to do so!
>
> Why? Because I / Fedora needed a newer version of libusb for both
> a lot of bugfixes and some new API calls (specifically the
> get_speed function).
>
> IIRC we also had discussion with some of the Debian maintainers,
> and they welcomes the idea of a drop in replacement fork too, since
> they too wanted a proper release with all the accumulated bugfixes
> in there.

Very good!

> I've asked Peter about doing a release before the start of the Fedora
> 16 cycle, and he said that I could count on a 1.0.9 in time for the
> devel freeze for Fedora 16 beta. We're now past the beta release of
> Fedora 16, so 9 months since I first asked for a release, and there
> would still not have been a 1.0.9 if it were not for the libusbx fork.
>
> Yes after we announced the fork Peter finally managed to roll a
> tarbal, but if we had not forked I'm 99.9% sure we would still not
> have one!

I agree. As recent as last months, I asked Peter about the 1.0.9
release, the answer to my question why the release of 1.0.9 still
did not happen is that "Obviously because it's not ready yet".
http://libusb.6.n5.nabble.com/libusb-1-0-9-release-td5581933.html

And then once we announced the fork, suddenly Peter went
into action and pushed many patches (some without discussions
on the mailing list) and then released libusb-1.0.9.

> Various people have been both begging Peter to do a release for more
> then a year now, as well as asking him to step down as a maintainer

Some examples:
http://libusb.6.n5.nabble.com/ETA-for-1-0-9-td3874739.html
http://libusb.6.n5.nabble.com/libusb-1-0-9-td5044335.html

> Note that at this point in time Peter can still avoid the pending
> fragmentation of libusb by stepping down as a maintainer. The problem
> is that Peter is operating libusb as a dictator, with for example only
> him having commit rights to the master git branch, and he is doing
> a very poor job at it!

I think that Peter has done great jobs for quite some libusb.git
codes and is a great contributor to the libusb-devel mailing list.
However I agree with you that he has done a poor job as the sole
active maintainer of libusb. That is the main reason for the fork.

If libusb and libusbx merge again, that is good for the community,
I think Peter can still be a maintainer, but not the sole maintainer.

--
Xiaofan