Yves Arrouye wrote:
> I was a bit surprised that the default installation obtained by cloning
> (using git clone on the command line)
> git://github.com/libusbx/libusbx.gitdid not include a configure

configure & co are generated and included in release tarballs. Since
they are generated files they do not belong in version control.

> Using a fresh cloned directory and having MacPort's autoconf and friends
> first in my path (/opt/local/bin; those are later versions than Apple's), I
> had to do the following (from the top level directory):
>
> % mkdir m4
> % autoreconf -v -i
>
> Is that expected?

libusb has always had the autogen.sh script which generates (and runs)
configure in a git tree. It works also with Mac OS X Xcode tools.

> If so, shouldn't the INSTALL file mentions that rather
> than say that one should simply have to run configure?

INSTALL is for tarball consumers. If you are a git consumer there are
further requirements.

> it does not seem that you intend to distribute something that can
> be configured directly with configure?

libusb certainly does not intend to put generated files under version
control, but it's possible that libusbx may want to change how this
works. I speak for the libusb project with my 8 years of experience
there, not for the libusbx fork of a few months which is ran by Pete.

> Or I may be missing something quite obvious

Maybe the autogen.sh script.

> Once I did this, it was pretty easy to build a proper library.

I think it is pretty easy to build libusb and libusbx, but working
with git does require more of you. I think that's a good thing not
per se, but because what is kept in git stays clean and easy to work
with, while the release process adds the generated files.

Pretty much the same as with every other proper library.

//Peter