> libusb has always had the autogen.sh script which generates (and runs)
> configure in a git tree. It works also with Mac OS X Xcode tools.

Okay. I personally do not build in the source tree (that tree is shared between
my Mac environment and a Linux VM; I have also taken this habit as it is a
great way to make sure my own projects behave well when built out of source
tree). I think that generating the files and running the scripts at once is not
a great separation of concerns, but I can understand that it is the mainstream
case. Maybe a options autogen.sh could make it stop short of running configure?
Or maybe autogen.sh can be invoked from out of source properly (I don't know
and am away from my computer right now).

>> If so, shouldn't the INSTALL file mentions that rather
>> than say that one should simply have to run configure?
>
> INSTALL is for tarball consumers. If you are a git consumer there are
> further requirements.

I think they could be listed somewhere. As long as OSS can be found easily,..

Thanks to both Pete(r)s for replying quickly.

YA