To use [ ] on the entire piece is simply not acceptable and surely not the way
lilypond should work.

I found that it is possible to use:

 \set Timing.beatStructure = #'(2 2)
(http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/beams
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/beams>)

which I have tried putting in my global variable. As i showed in my first post,
this break the beams. Any ideas how to make the beams automaticly span 4 8s?

Med vennlig hilsen,
Carl-Henrik Buschmann
Lektor