Since some posters have mentioned it, we thought it would be helpful to zero
into how the Pods factor into the Community Center project and what we think is
the most rational path for the activities there.

Neither of the existing currently proposed designs contemplates a new home for
LEAP, although I do agree with Diana that there are definitely capital needs
there.

There are three pods. In both designs POD B would be LIGHTLY renovated and stay
as a standalone facility to host LEAP. In one of the designs the two other pods
would be torn down and in the other design they would be incorporated into the
Community Center.

The cost of renovating the LEAP pod was estimated at $1.125MM in 2018, using
the same cost inflator used for the overall project, the updated cost would be
approximately $1.6MM, which corresponds to 6% of the total Community Center
project cost.

We argue that the town has other public space to host the activities hosted in
the Pods today, if at some point in the future they are not deemed further
usable. LEAP as well as all of the after-hours Parks and Rec
school-age-activities, which represent the vast majority of the program's
indoor offerings, could easily be hosted in what is otherwise a brand-new empty
school. There is already a precedent of a Parks & Recreation activity, namely
IMLEM, using the school, specifically the 8th grade hub, to conduct its
activities. We are sure other adult activities could also find accomodation.
Adult basketball for example is already hosted at Reed Gym.

As it relates to Parks and Rec Department (PRD), there is no urgency in finding
the Department a new home. Once that happens, as anyone who has stepped foot
into that office can attest, they only need a small fraction of their current
space to house three employees. We are certain either the school or the 15,000
sqft Town offices could find space for them.

Let us not conflate a discussion about the future of PRD and LEAP, which can be
easily fixed at no incremental or a small cost, with a $25MM project with no
other apparent incremental goal other than hosting COA.