Thanks, Mark,

At 07:32 AM 7/30/03 -0700, you wrote:
Does it work any better if you swap out members of the same type? I seem to recall that D7 would actually bug out if you swapped a sprite's member type out from under it. I avoid it so I don't know how newer versions behave.

Yes, when the member is of the same type, on-the-fly swapping is no problem. It is also unproblematic in a small test movie.

I thought that I may have some code somewhere that keeps reversing the member swap or the visibility setting, e. g. in an exitFrame handler, but there's none. The exitFrame calls are not responsible, and I don't have any idle handlers.

S.