On 20/12/13 13:27, Paul Brooks wrote:

> ... the initial assumption (most people are accessing their broadband
> via WiFi and Mobile Broadband) is an incorrect starting point. ...

The ABS reported that at the end of June 2013 mobile wireless broadband
was the most prevalent internet technology in Australia. It is just
under half all the broadband connections in Australia:
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/D6B00147BF1749E1CA257BFA00127708?opendocument

I couldn't find any figures for WiFi use at home, but my observations of
ICT in the home is that WiFi is used much more than wired connections.

> At home, people don't 'access broadband', they use broadband to
> 'access devices/servers/content' ...

Provided the cost is not significantly higher, I can't see why people
would want to access different devices, servers and content at home, to
the ones they use when out and about.

> ... its the same sloppy thinking that conflates "broadband" with "the
> Internet"...

Do homes have many broadband interconnected devices? Home NAS servers
don't sound like common consumer items. I assume that most people would
be using broadband to connect to on-line storage and services outside
the home, via the Internet, thus making "broadband" and "Internet"
synonymous.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/