At 08:53 AM 21/12/2013, Tom Worthington wrote:
>Provided the cost is not significantly higher, I can't see why people
>would want to access different devices, servers and content at home, to
>the ones they use when out and about.

It's not a matter of what one wants to connect to from home or
elsewhere, it's a difference of cost. Wifi is much more expensive
than wired broadband if you are a heavier data user, which one would
tend to be in the home with multiple people using the same
connection. (cont. below)

> > ... its the same sloppy thinking that conflates "broadband" with "the
> > Internet"...
>
>Do homes have many broadband interconnected devices? Home NAS servers
>don't sound like common consumer items. I assume that most people would
>be using broadband to connect to on-line storage and services outside
>the home, via the Internet, thus making "broadband" and "Internet"
>synonymous.

It's the number of people with multiple devices involved, not remote
storage or added bizarre appliances, such as fridges or remote
control devices. Eg right now I have a tablet and a laptop connected
and on. I could also have my desktop going and, if I had one, a Smart
TV. Think a typical family of 2 parents with 2 children. That is a
potential of four people in one household using a wired BB with an in
house wifi network, nothing to do with NAS. Kids are going to use the
home network and avoid using their 4G connections if they have any
limitations on those accounts in terms of data limits.

e.g. Telstra prepaid wireless is $140 for 8Gb. Internode home wired
service, not phone bundled, is $50 for 50Gb. Major pricing
difference. TPG is 500GB for $50, even better!

There is obviously the question of availability in regional areas,
which was the start of this thread, so things will vary in those
environments. But for those who can get a wired service, it makes
much more sense to do that and get a mobile service only if you need
to be mobile for things like smart phones and possibly tablets.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jw...@janwhitaker.com

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how
do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer