On 26/12/13 13:54, Frank O'Connor wrote:

> ... Factor in Super High Res TV ...

With advanced video compression 4K TV can be carried on existing
free-to-air TV spectrum and wireless broadband.

> home care/monitoring/treatment of the elderly and infirm ...

Home health care doesn't need high bandwidth. It needs a trained medical
professionals and some software.

 > online education ...

On-line education doesn't need high speed broadband, it needs trained
teachers and some educational content.

> ... Don't let yourself suffer from a failure of imagination

Proposing more bandwidth does not take a lot of imagination. What takes
imagination is coming up with credible uses for high speed broadband, or
at least ones where someone is willing to pay for.

> ...high standard network rather than the fragmented high maintenance
> hodge-podge that's being proposed. ...

What I proposed was to run fibre run down each suburban street, with a
pico-cell (about the size of a loaf of bread) on an electricity pole for
every six homes. Those who wanted could have FTTN or FTTH from the same
fibre, provided they were willing to pay the installation cost.

> The fact that you and I are likely to be dead before the network is
> in place is irrelevant ...

It should not take more than a decade to put in place high speed
broadband, which I hope is within my lifetime.

> Our generation hasn't exactly been studded with achievement. ...

Australia now has free Internet access in public libraries, which is an
achievement. A new goal could be to provide post-secondary education, up
to a bachelors degree level, free on-line, to all citizens. Most
students would still have to go to a campus for part of their education
and pay some fees, but could do some vocational certificates and degrees
completely on-line for free. We could invite others in our region to
join our students on-line, for a modest fee. While this is not quite the
same as fighting a world war, or tunnelling the Snowy Hydro Scheme, it
would be a worthwhile goal in cultural and economic terms.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/