On 21/12/13 10:18, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> ... Kids are going to use the home network and avoid using their 4G
> connections if they have any limitations on those accounts in terms
> of data limits. ... wireless is $140 for 8Gb ... wired ... 500GB for $50 ...

There have been some wireless "home" services in Australia using the
mobile network. These are more common in developing nations (I saw them
in India and Sri Lanka). The customer is charged a lower rate than for a
mobile service but can only use it from one fixed location.

Perhaps we could have a virtual wireless NBN. The customer would use the
same smart phone or mobile equipment for access, it would just be that
when they are at "home", they would be charged the lower rate. Where
there is high demand for the service, NBN Co. would install picocells on
the fibre. Where there was not demand, the telcos existing mobile
networks would be used, with roaming agreements between the networks,
required by law, to spread the load.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/