On 5/5/19 10:49 am, Karl Auer wrote:

... Every lecturer seems to think their subject is the only one  ...

A full time student is expected to study about 40 hours per week. Usually I have 10 hours of that, to budget for the student to study, and do assessment. Some lecturers tend to set far more reading than it is possible to do. This is especially easy where you can now point the student at online materials. So I estimate of how long it will take a student to read the materials I set, using the typical reading speed of an international student.

These tests frequently test knowledge the student cannot reasonably be
expected to have yet ...

Like computer programs, it is possible to design courses systematically, with tests alongside the content, as one integrated whole. Unfortunately, unlike school and TAFE teachers, may university lecturers have never been trained in how to design a course.

The system depends, if it is to be useful to the student, on high-
quality staff all the way down to the tutors. ...

Yes, the quality of tutors is most important. As well as a theoretical knowledge of the subject, it is useful if they have relevant experience, and some training in teaching.

Do you as a lecturer make certain that every tutor is ...

Yes, it is a lot easier to ensure consistent delivery of materials and tests with online and blended courses. The system can be used to see how the tutors are doing, as well as the students. It is also useful to use teams teaching with more that one tutor.

The system does not allow for different students making progress at
different speeds. ...

Online courses are ideal for self-paced, where each student can proceed at their own speed. However, the student then has less peer support, as each is at a different point. It also makes group work difficult.

--
Tom Worthington, MEd FHEA FACS CP http://www.tomw.net.au +61(0)419496150
TomW Communications Pty Ltd. PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia

Honorary Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National University https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington