David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >  Although the article did have issues, I'm most disconcerted
> >  with some of the bang-per-buck comparisons (one of the
> >  charts showed a mid-range SUN performs at 300% that of the
> >  z/900 at only %18 of the cost... and that was a *mid-range*
> >  SUN!)
>
> He's comparing apples and Brazil nuts. It depends a lot on the
> application -- there are cases where the Sun is the right answer, many where
> it's not.  You have to profile the application.

 Wonderful!  I'd be very delighted to have someone set-me-straight
 on these points...

> >  If a mid-range SUN is only 18% of the cost of a (slower) mainframe,
> >  it will make selling mainframe Linux (vs. SUN Linux) a lot harder.
> >  Granted, the RAS facilities of the mainframe are nice, but for
> >  18% of the cost... if you had to, you could buy 3 or 4 SUN boxes,
> >  keeping most of them in the closet as "spares" and still be
> >  cheaper.
>
> I would argue that the figures in the article do not include the whole
> picture. For a *single* application, he may be close. It's when you deploy
> application n+1 and n+2 that the difference/advantage becomes apparent. He's
> falling into the usual trap of doing TCOs based only on hardware price --
> that isn't the whole story, and he's not including cost of operators, floor
> space, etc. Our studies indicate that the breakdown for TCO is nominally:
>
> 20-23% hw/sw cost
> 37% people
> remainder facilities (power, HVAC, floor space, network bandwidth, etc)
>
> It's kind of weird that people focus on the smallest portion of the problem
> while ignoring the other 70+% of the problem...

  Hmm... that could be very true...

  But - he's comparing one mid-range sun to one z/900.  Seems like
 the 37% people and remainder facilities would be the same in both
 of those.  One sun should be just about as much work/power as one
 z/900.. in fact, I'd expect one mid-range sun to be a little lower
 on the power/HVAC requirements.

  So - if we accept that, then really we're talking about %18 percent
 of that 20-23% hardware figure... right?

  I may be just a little "slow" on the up-take here, so bear with
 me while I walk through this...  I _really_ want a nice compelling
 argument here.

  Let's say that the mainframe TCO costs $100.  The hardware costs would
 be $20, the "rest" of the cost (the part that's the same between
 the alternatives) is then $80.

  So - the Sun box would be 18% of the z/900 hardware cost.

  Thus, if the z/900 TCO is $100, the Sun TCO would be $83.6 - a savings
 of 16.4%.

  Granted, a savings of 16.4% is much better than a savings of 82%, but
 16.4% is still quite a significant savings.

  Am I understanding this correctly?  Or, have I missed the boat somewhere?

  So - then the argument would be that for 16.4% more, you can get
 all of the RAS of z/900 hardware, vs. the mainframe box.   Is that
 a fair statement?

  Please don't get me wrong - I'm a big proponent of Linux on the
 mainframe; our company has quite a substantial investment in seeing
 it succeed.  I'm just trying to get together a fantastic response
 when asked the question myself, which does come up from time to time.
 What better place to get a reliable answer?

  Then, we need to understand (and address?) performance concerns.  This
 was all under the assumption that the z/900 runs as fast, and hopefully
 faster, than the mid-range Sun.  And, with this "back-of-the-napkin"
 calculation, there are several other issues to consider (virtualization
 technology for one.) And, as you mention, this ignores the very good
 point regarding testing your application "in the environment."

         - Thanks! -
        - Dave Rivers -

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        Work: (919) 676-0847
Get your mainframe programming tools at http://www.dignus.com