As pointed out by many, hardware is the smallest cost in all of this.

Also, you need to consider software costs.  IF the application software isn't
free, multiple boxes are a negative.  Consider that Websphere is about $20K per
engine.  DB2/UDB is also around $20K per engine.  Now 4 Sun boxes times ($20K
Websphere plus $20K DB2) is $160,000 vs a single copy of each for a single
engine S/390  ($40K).

Add in test systems, development systems, spares, how to backup these systems.
Consider that people using these other platforms get real concerned with 30-40%
utilitization and want to replace everything.  It seems that everytime there is
a new "required" release of the software, they seem to always require new
hardware.  All of this costs a lot of money.

It seems there are many performance concerns with Linux/390.  A lot of them seem
to being worked on.  (Linux was conceived with the thought of dedicated
resources.  Linux is being worked on to behave in a shared resource
environment.)

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting